A healthy credit score can help you borrow money instantly. Here’s all you need to know about your score and how you can boost it
You must have heard the term ‘Credit Score’ or ‘CRC Score’ mentioned often. These words have become a part of common parlance. However, it is important to understand what these terms are. Especially when you are considering seeking financial aid in the form of a loan online, your Credit Score can impact the entire application and approval process.
we’re here to help you check your credit score in Nigeria and that’s because knowing your credit score is really important.
What is a credit score?
Your credit score is a three-digit number that indicates your ability to repay debt or outstanding credit to lenders. It is calculated by assessing your credit history and repayment behaviour. This includes your existing debts, credit history, the types of credit instruments you have experience with and more.
When you apply for loans, lenders evaluate your credit score to check your creditworthiness. This helps lenders analyse the risk you pose as a borrower.
While there are many credit information companies in Nigeria, the most popular one is CRC Credit Bureau. CRC assigns
credit scores between 300 and 850. A good credit score of 750+ increases your chance of getting a loan approved easily and quickly. It also improves your chance of getting a competitive interest rate or better terms on your loan, such as a high loan amount. A low score implies a history of missed payments or defaults or that you don’t have much of a credit history. This lowers your chances of getting approval on your loan application or leads to stricter loan terms.
Given its importance in the approval process of a loan, be sure to check your credit score before you apply. This way, you have a chance of improving your credit score by paying off existing debts, paying EMIs on time, or reducing your credit utilisation.
CRC credit key role
CRC Credit Bureau is Nigeria credit information company and is known to collect and maintain credit reports. All information about your online personal loan, credit card, secured loans such as home loan and other credit activities is regularly obtained and monitored by CRC through its affiliated partners in financial institutions.
CRC’s key role is to provide a database to all lenders that helps decide the creditworthiness of a credit applicant or borrower. So, checking your CRC score can help you determine your eligibility for credit beforehand and reduce the chances of your application being rejected.
Moreover, having a high credit score of 750 and above ensures that you will not only get your loan application processed fast, but also get a loan amount on your terms and pay a nominal interest rate
How to check your credit score in Nigeria?
How to check your credit score via USSD code
Every Nigerian is entitled to one free Credit report every year from any registered Nigerian Credit Bureau. To get a free credit report in Nigeria, use any of the following sources:
- Dial the USSD code *565*8# on your mobile phone to get instant Credit reports from CRC Credit Bureau. This service is currently available to MTN subscribers only.
- Get a free credit report from Nigeria’s first independent licensed credit bureau. You only get one free report per month.
How to check your credit score via CRC mobile app
The CRC Mobile app was available for download on the Google and Apple Play stores, it stated.
It could be used to subscribe to the various credit monitoring products /services that CRC had to offer, including its CRC score and CRC self enquiry credit reports.
Step 1: Search and Download the CRC Mobile App
Step 2: Download and Install CRC Mobile
Step 3: Launch application on your mobile device
Step 4: Sign up or login (Please ensure mobile number and all other registration details provided are the same as those used to register for your BVN)
Step 5: Click CRC score product icon and click Cart icon ( NGN 400 processing fee)
Your CRC score will be sent to your email within minutes
Check your credit score with CRC’s official website
Regular requests for your CRC Score should be made, if you intend to apply for a loan or credit facilities in the future. Checking your CRC score at least once a month is advisable. The CRC Score powered by FICO is easily accessible to everyone and it can be bought via the CRC Credit Bureau website for just Four Hundred Naira only (N400.00).
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Log on to the website by clicking here
- Click on ‘Banner CRC Score’
- Click on ‘Add to Cart’ and the ‘Go to Cart’
- Click on ‘Sign up’ to create account
- First nam, Surname
- Choose User Type: Individual or Corporate/Bussiness
- Email address
- Bank Verification Number (Dial *565*0# to get your BVN.)
- Phone Number (Linked to BVN)
- Enter your details and click on ‘creat account’. A verification link will be sent to your email
- Verify your email address and login to complete your profile
- Complete your profile and follow the instruction to make payment
Your credit report will be sent to your registered email address in minutes
How CRC Scores are calculated
Your credit score is derived from the information on your Credit Report, which details your credit history over a period. The elements from your credit report that shape your credit scores are called credit score factors.
For the CRC Score, the following ranges are considered standard:
- Exceptional: 800 and above
- Very Good: 740-799
- Good: 670-739
- Fair: 580-669
- Poor: 579- lower
The following factors are used to calculate a CRC Score using the FICO methodology built uniquely for the Nigerian market:
- Payment History (35%): How regularly individuals pay their bills or debt obligations to lenders.
- Amount Owed (30%): Outstanding Debt calculated in all the individual’s accounts (loan accounts, current accounts with debit balance.)
- Pursuit of new credit (10%): How often an individual applies for new credit related facilities over the last two years.
- Length of Credit History (15%): A longer Credit history with up to date repayments in relation to other parameters increases Credit Score.
- Credit Mix (10%): The mix of Credit types like credit cards, personal loans mortgages etc. increase your Credit Score.
credit score check
credit bureau check
check credit score free
check my credit score
credit report check
best way to check credit score
check your credit score
check my credit score for free
credit score check free online